Friday, June 19, 2009

Oh Deer


Late this afternoon, as I sat on the back porch, I spied a beautiful doe and her fawn in front of me in the field. Knowing that any sound would sent them fleeing, I didn't go for my camera & try to capture the moment, I simply sat there and enjoyed it.

These deer aren't them ...I took these a few weeks ago. When I look out and see the donkeys intently staring at something, I look for deer. If you click this picture bigger you can see what I mean.


A few weeks ago, they were all lined up along the fence, and sure enough, about fifty feet away, there were two lovely deer, calmly laying down in the field, enjoying the sunshine. Another day, there was a big buck drinking from the pond.

A glimpse of a deer in our field is such a treat. We see them more often than we used to in fact we never saw a single one for 15 years - now it's fairly often.

At night though, it's a whole different matter - you really have to have your wits about you. Last night I had Ashley as my extra eyes - something you really need here anymore. In a very short distance, we came across three deer, three raccoons and a rabbit. Definitely NOT the time to be 'enjoying the moment'.

No comments: